أضف رد جديد
TomCooper
Private 1st Class - Jundi Awal
مشاركات: 76
اشترك في: الأربعاء نوفمبر 03, 2010 11:01 am

Books "Iraqi Fighters" & "Arab MiGs, Volume 1"

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » السبت نوفمبر 20, 2010 9:16 pm

I hope you don't mind me presenting two of books which I co-authored. Both reveal plenty of details about the Iraqi Air Force in particular.

The first, written in cooperation with Brig Gen Ahmad Sadik (IrAF, ret.) and published in 2008, is "Iraqi Fighters: Camouflage and Markings, 1953-2003".

صورة

This book covers the history 13 different jet fighter- and fighter-bomber types in service with the RIrAF and IrAF, between 1953 and 2003, starting with Vampires and Venoms, via Hunters, all the possible MiGs, Mirages and Sukhois to Su-25.

A flash-animated preview can be seen here

The second, written together with Dr. David Nicolle, and published in 2009, is "Arab MiGs, Volume 1".

صورة

This book covers the history of MiG-15 and MiG-17 in service with the Algerian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Maroccan, and Syrian air forces, in period 1955-1967.

A flash-animated preview can be seen here.

I hope that the next year we are going to be able to publish the Volume 2 of this series, which is to cover the service history of MiG-19 and MiG-21 in Algeria, Egypt, Iraq and Syria (but also the Hunter in the air forces of Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon), in period 1960-1967. I'm still searching for additional information and photographs to related topics, so if anybody thinks he might be able to help, please, don't hesitate to contact me.

hayder
Field Marshal - Muheeb
Field Marshal - Muheeb
مشاركات: 3116
اشترك في: الأربعاء أكتوبر 06, 2010 10:21 pm
مكان: Europe

Re: Books "Iraqi Fighters" & "Arab MiGs, Volume 1"

مشاركة بواسطة hayder » السبت نوفمبر 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Just one question, will the service of the SU-7 be covered in the second edition? or will that be in a book "arab bombers and attack aircraft"? ;)

TomCooper

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » الأحد نوفمبر 21, 2010 12:53 am

General history of Su-7s in IrAF service (including number of aircraft delivered, units operating them, serials etc.) is provided in "Iraqi Fighters".

Detailled operational history is to follow in the "Arab MiGs" series: despite its title, these books do not only cover MiGs, but also Sukhois. For example, already the Volume 2 is going to cover the early service history of Su-7s in Egypt - which was the first Arab country to operate that type. Hope I can follow in similar fashion with Su-7s in Algeria, Iraq and Syria, in Volume 3.

The reason is that in many cases the history of various fighter-types is inter-connected: i.e. all jet fighter pilots flew MiG-15s and MiG-17s before re-qualifiying on Su-7s etc. Otherwise, back in those times almost anything the Arabs flew was called "MiG", regardless if a MiG, Sukhoi, Hunter or else.

صورة العضو الشخصية
Khalid
Lieutenant General - Fareeq
Lieutenant General - Fareeq
مشاركات: 204
اشترك في: الأربعاء أكتوبر 06, 2010 10:02 pm
مكان: Egypt
اتصال:

مشاركة بواسطة Khalid » الأحد نوفمبر 21, 2010 5:08 pm

I was going to post threads about each of them but you were faster than me :D

Though I couldn't get a copy of "Iraqi Fighters" yet, but I heard from many people that the book is really awesome...

The latter book "Arab MiGs" is very great one, I am looking for the next volume.

When are you going to author a book about MiG-23, MiG-25 and MiG-29?

Good job and keep'em coming ;)
Ethics, Faith, Courage.

TomCooper

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » الاثنين نوفمبر 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Thanks!

There is more that could be published about these types, but that will have to wait for some more suitable opportunity.

For the time being, MiG-23s, MiG-25s, and MiG-29s are covered in Iraqi Fighters (which you can still get directly from Harpia Publishing, just for example).

TomCooper

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » الخميس سبتمبر 29, 2011 8:42 pm

This is to announce the book "Arab MiGs, Volume 2" is going to be published around 25 October this year.

First deliveries to various book-shops in Europe can be expected around 1-2 weeks later (i.e. through the first half of November).

Bellow a scan of the title-page.

In regards of what can be found in this book:

Contents:
- Addenda/Errata to Volume 1 (plenty of new photos and trully much new info obtained in reaction to the publication of Volume 1; almost an entire new chapter by size and content)
- Chapter 1: Turbulent Times in Iraq
- Chapter 2: Compromised Solutions
- Chapter 3: Political Games
- Chapter 4: Mixed Fortunes
- Chapter 5: Cutting the Lion's Tail
- Appendix I: Known serial numbers of UARAF MiG-19s, MiG-21s and Su-7s, 1961-1967
- Appendix II: Known serial number of UARAF Il-28s and Tu-16s, 1958-1967
- Appendix III: Artworks.

Let me summarize my experience of working on this book as follows. First of all, we've got much more materials than originally planed or expected. Eventually, there were over 400 of photos alone, of which we selected some 200+ for publishing in this volume. Because of so many entirely new, and largely exclusive materials, we were forced to move all the descriptions of the operations during the June 1967 War to Volume 3 (these are really going in-depth: so far, we've reconstructred something like 80% of the combat sorties flown by Egyptians, Syrians, Iraqis, Jordanians and Lebanese during that war), which is to follow the next year.

This was actually a sort of a good omen. Namely, Volume 2 contains really a wealth of entirely new information, including such like:
- a very in-depth description of the RIrAF/IrAF developments, in Iraq, in the late 1950s and early 1960s (plenty of unit histories, all crucial unit COs, exclusive photographs with previously unknown markings etc.);
- an extensive discussion of the Messerschmitt/Helwan HA-300 - a stillborn supersonic fighter project - (including lenghty excerpts from an interview with Gp Cpt Kapil Bhargava, IAF [ret.], former chief test-pilot of that project), and its influence on Egyptian-Soviet relations;
- detailled description of the introduction to service of MiG-19s and MiG-21s in Egypt;
- very in-depth discussion of the MiG-21, its design, systems, weapons and combat tactics as of the early 1960s based on one of the first tactical manuals for the type that became available in the early 1960s;
- in-depth reconstruction of the development of such air forces like (in alphabetic order), Algerian, Iraqi, Jordanian, Lebanese, and Syrian during the early 1960s (plenty of new info and photos, including previously near-unknown series of Jordanian defections to Egypt);
- a very detailled, completely new reconstruction of the Israeli op "Diamond", which resulted in defection of an Iraqi MiG-21-pilot to Israel, in 1966 (once again, plenty of completely unknown data from Iraqi sources);
- an exclusive discussion about the development of interceptor tactics during the mid-1960s, as provided by Syrian sources;
- and then an extensive study of the Egyptian military and its "preparations" (if these can be called that way) before the 1967 War, which - between others - contains new and exclusive data on recce flights over Israel, and ends with an almost (97%) complete UARAF ORBAT as of 4 June 1967 that is not only based on original Egyptian documentation, but cites precisely the number of aircraft and pilots available per each unit, unit COs, even AAA-units as deployed on specific air bases etc....

BTW, since it was already in Volume 1 so that we did not "limit" ourselves to the "MiG-design" aircraft, we continued this "practice" in this volume as well. Thus, be ready to find detailled descriptions (including colour artworks - some containing previously completely unknown unit insignias as applied on the aircraft) of such types like Iraqi and Jordanian Hunters, Egyptian Su-7, Egyptian and Iraqi Il-28 and Tu-16 bombers, even such things like unit insignia of Egyptian Il-14s and much, much more.

Like Arab MiGs Volume 1, Arab MiGs Volume 2 will be available for orders directly from the publisher (see Harpia Publishing, or from various specialized bookshops, the list of which - broken down by country - can be found here.
المرفقات
ArabMiGs Vol2 Cover.jpg
ArabMiGs Vol2 Cover.jpg (106.28 KiB) تمت المشاهدة 31872 مرةً

hayder
Field Marshal - Muheeb
Field Marshal - Muheeb
مشاركات: 3116
اشترك في: الأربعاء أكتوبر 06, 2010 10:21 pm
مكان: Europe

مشاركة بواسطة hayder » الجمعة سبتمبر 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Sounds excellent!

I will be coming to Vienna and Budapest in the beginning of December. Any bookshops there stock it?

TomCooper

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » السبت أكتوبر 01, 2011 9:17 am

Hayder,
yes, there is one bookshop in Vienna that has these books too (Universitätsbuchhandlung Schaden, in 1010 Wien).

However, if you are really going to be around here, I would be priviledged to (finally) present the copies of all three books (Iraqi Fighters and Arab MiGs Vol.1 and Vol.2) personally to you.

Without your help, we could never reconstruct the history of the IrAF as good as we did in these three volumes, and I can never thank You enough, Sir!

TomCooper

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » الاثنين أكتوبر 24, 2011 10:02 am

For those interested, a sneak-preview of "Arab MiGs, Volume 2" is now available here: http://www.harpia-publishing.com/index- ... sVol2.html

A lots of space in this book is devoted to the history of the Iraqi Air Force in the 1950s and 1960s. For example:

- Chapter 1 covers the history of the Iraqi Air Force from the mid-1950s until 1962. It contains plenty of forgotten photos, like those showing RIrAF Furies with 'special' markings, parade staged at Wahda AB in 1955, when it was taken-over from the British, or a visit by the CO Lebanese AF in Habbaniya. We were able to reach back on original British documents regarding negotiations and delivery of Hunters, regarding negotiations for Canberra bombers, and also negotiations for US-made North American F-86 Sabre fighters, in 1956-1958 period. It ends with some really forgotten stories about the introduction of MiG-19s and MiG-21s to Iraqi service, in 1960-1962.

- Later in the book, the IrAF involvement in the two coups of 1963 is described to great depth, and illustrated by a series of exclusive photos taken by an Egyptian military photographer.

- Also, thanks to kind help from friends in Egypt and Iraq, we've reconstructed what actually happened before Munir Redfa flew that MiG-21 to Israel. Sufficient to say here that this Israeli operation left quite a bloody trace in Iraq, Germany, USA etc... and Redfa was practically blackmailed into defection.

Hope, our Iraqi readers are going to find the ways to get that volume and find it an interesting read. As always, I am very much looking forward for all your reactions.

TomCooper

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » الثلاثاء أكتوبر 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Gentlemen,

this is to announce that the Volume 3 of the book-series 'Arab MiGs' is going to the press, and to be published on 24 October this year.

It is to be officially launched during the IPMS/UK Nationals, in Telford, on 10 and 11 November, and to simultaneously become available in book-shops around Europe (USA are to follow 1-2 weeks later).

The usual sneak-preview is to become available on the website of Harpia Publishing, later this month.

Regarding its content:

- Addenda/Errata
More of new photos and facts provided by various readers in reaction to Volumes 1 and 2; most importantly, Mrs Patricia Salti, widow of 1st Lt Muwaffaq Salti, RJAF Hunter pilot KIA in air combat with IDF/AF Mirages, in November 1966, joined our team of authors to provide plenty of in-depth information about 'formative years' of the Royal Jordanian Air Force, in 1950s and 1960s, and beyond.

- Chapter 1: 5 June 1967, Attack on Egypt
This is a blow-by-blow reconstruction of the Israeli onslaught on Egyptian air bases on 5 June, as recalled by Egyptian pilots, officers and ground personnel, but with quite some support of official Egyptian documentation too (there are even more original documents that are published in Egypt, and thus it's getting easier to find out exact numbers of available aircraft, exact details about losses etc.).

- Chapter 2: Fighting the Lost Battle
Similar, blow-by-blow, sortie-by-sortie reconstruction of UARAF (as the Egyptian AF was officially designated between 1958 and 1970) operations between 6 and 10 June 1967, plus a discussion of all available reports of deliveries of replacement aircraft from Algeria.

- Chapter 3: Hesitant Jordanians, Waiting Iraqis
This is actually a sort of an introduction to the following two chapters, detailling the 'who-was-who' in Iraq and Jordan, what were plans, intentions and capabilities etc.

- Chapter 4: Two Hours Over Jordan
Detailled reconstruction of the air war fought over Jordan around the noon of 5 June 1967, including Iraqi and Jordanian raids on Israel, and Israeli counter-strikes.

- Chapter 5: The H-3 Saga
This is also a blow-by-blow account of continued Iraqi operations against Israel, on 6 June 1967 and beyond, but particularly about the famous series of Israeli attacks on this Iraqi airfield (no air base as of 1967) and resulting air combats. I'm sure that Iraqi readers are going to find this chapter particularly interesting, then most of the details provided there are revealed in the public for the first time (not only for the first time in English language, but in any other either). Sufficient to say: the IrAF flew much more and fared much better during that war than usually 'assessed'.

- Chapter 6: Syria Alone
Finally, this chapter contains the most detailled account about the Syrian Arab Air Force's participation in the June 1967 War with Israel so far, with nearly all of the combat sorties flown described in detail (including names of pilots), several highly interesting, previously unpublished accounts/recollections by participants etc.

In summary, these six chapters are really 'action packed', reconstructing dozens of air combats on basis of information never available until now, or at least not put into common context in this fashion previously.

- Chapter 7: Repercussions
This chapter covers primarily Egypt-related developments immediately following the war. I think it's 'high point' is a table about numbers of aircraft available to the UARAF before and after the war, based on official documentation. We originally wanted to put this table into the Volume 2, but couldn't for reasons of space, so this is the first time that actual Egyptian losses from this war will be published in the West. Together with a number of accounts provided by involved pilots (some of these about so far entirely unknown coup-plots against President Nasser!), I think this chapter is going to provide a sort of 'wonderful' reconstruction of how the UARAF was rebuilt after the catastrophe of June 1967 - but also debunk a number of persistent 'urban legends' circling the public ever since...

- Appendix I: Known serial numbers of Iraqi MiG-19s and MiG-21s, 1960-1967
- Appendix II: Known serial numbers of IrAF Il-28s and Tu-16s, 1965-1967
- Appendix III: Hawker Hunter deliveries to Jordan before June 1967
- Appendix IV: The Story of Saif-ul-Azam's Hunter
- Appendix V: Artworks

As can be seen from the title-page (see below), this time it is an artwork of an Iraqi MiG-21FL that is posted there.
المرفقات
Arab MiGs Vol3 Cover.jpg
Arab MiGs Vol3 Cover.jpg (102.96 KiB) تمت المشاهدة 30746 مرةً

صورة العضو الشخصية
mosab
Sergeant - Arif
Sergeant - Arif
مشاركات: 249
اشترك في: الخميس أكتوبر 21, 2010 2:44 pm
مكان: Edmonton,AB

مشاركة بواسطة mosab » الثلاثاء يناير 12, 2016 2:49 pm

just finished reading Arab MiGs volume 6, the October war part 2. Vol. 5 & 6 shed a new light on the performance & bravery of Arab pilots, including Iraqi pilots in the massive air battles over Sinai & the Golan. Vol. 3 is about June 1967 war & contains detailed description of the battle to defend H3. What makes these book important is that many of the accounts were drawn through personal interviews with Iraqi pilots, & the rare photos provided.
In 1967 & 1973, as in 1980,1991 & their current fight against ISIS terror, were fighting against tremendous odds. I can only salut & pray for the living & dead "sky falcons"!
Per Ardua, Ad Astra.

TomCooper

مشاركة بواسطة TomCooper » الأربعاء إبريل 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Since 2012, a lot of new books about Arab and Iraqi air forces were published by Harpia:

- Arab MiGs Volume 4
Covering the times between the wars of 1967 and 1973, this volume is discussing so-called 'War of Attrition' in Egypt and Syria, but also Iraqi Air Force's growth during these times - primarily with help of acquiring training aircraft in Czechoslovakia, and training its pilots there too.

- Arab MiGs Volume 5
This one is covering Egyptian and Syrian preparations for the October 1973 War with Israel, and then the first three days of that conflict. Between others, it is detailiing deployment of two IrAF's squadrons of Hunter fighter-bombers to Egypt too.

Towards the end of this volume, there is plenty of information about Iraq Air Force's deployment to Syria, which began on the second day of that war, about early air combats with Israelis, Su-7-operations etc.

- Arab MiGs Volume 6
This volume is covering the rest of the October 1973 Arab-Israeli War and thus providing extensive details about operations of IrAF Hunters over the Sinai, but also everything that is known about operations of IrAF units over Syria - and there was plenty of action, and a lot to say about both of these. Furthermore, there is an entire chapter dedicated to transport ops and thus a lot of information about the 'air bridge' the IrAF transport aircraft and helicopters have run between Baghdad and Damascus during that war.

(BTW, the cover of this book is decorated by IrAF MiG-21MF serial number 1019: the only aircraft of this type ever to have scored confirmed kills against an Israeli Mirage - in 1973 - and an Iranian F-4 Phantom II, in 1980.)

Finally,
- Iraqi Air Power Reborn: the Iraqi Air Arms Since 2004
This one is just out (since about a week or so), and it provides an unprecedented and exclusive insight into equipment, organization, and operations of the Iraqi Air Force and Iraqi Army Aviation since 2004 - and especially in war against the AQI and the Daesh, since 2010.

Tomorrow, Osprey Publishing is about to release the book F-15C Eagle versus MiG-23/25 - which is providing unprecedented coverage of operations by IrAF MiG-23 and MiG-25 at war in 1991. Between others, this slim volume is including a full (and correct) ORBAT for IrAF interceptors during that war, and narratives from several IrAF MiG-25-pilots about air combats on 17 January (when one of them shot down an USN F/A-18C Hornet), and on 30 January (when two of them clashed with a pair of USAF F-15Cs).

Later this year, Helion & Co is going to release the book Hawker Hunters At War: Iraq And Jordan, 1958-1967, detailing operational history of Hawker Hunter in Iraq and Jordan, in period 1958-1967. Between others, this volume is going to provide plenty of new details about acquisition process of the type, training of Iraqi and Jordanian pilots, involvement of IrAF Hunters in different coups (especially in 1963, when they became the first Hunters ever to see combat), and then detailled history of their combat operations during the June 1967 Arab-Israeli War (including air combats over Jordan and over H-3 airfield, in western Iraq).

صورة العضو الشخصية
mosab
Sergeant - Arif
Sergeant - Arif

مشاركة بواسطة mosab » السبت مايو 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Still waiting for my copy of F-15C vs MiG-23/25 & Iraqi air power reborn ordered from amazon! I will try to write a short review of the books , hopefully in Arabic!
Per Ardua, Ad Astra.

صورة العضو الشخصية
mosab
Sergeant - Arif
Sergeant - Arif

مشاركة بواسطة mosab » الثلاثاء يونيو 07, 2016 9:23 pm

عرض كتاب
F-15C Eagle vs MiG-23/25, Iraq 1991
المؤلفين: توم كوپر و دوغلاس ديلدي
الكتاب في ٨٠ صفحة من القطع المتوسط، و يبدأ بمقدمة تتحدث عن مفهوم مقاتلة التفوق الجوي و تطور هذا المفهوم بعد الحرب الكورية في كلا من الولايات المتحدة و الاتحاد السوڤييتي. يتناول الفصل الثاني مراحل تطور و تصميم الميغ ٢٣ و ٢٥ و الأف ١٥. يتناول الفصل الثالث المواصفات التقنية لهذه المقاتلات في خدمة كلا من القوة الجوية العراقية و سلاح الجو الأميركي .
يناقش الفصل الرابع الحالة التعبوية للقوة الجوية العراقية قبيل حرب الخليج الثانية و نظام الدفاع الجوي العراقي و القواعد الجوية العراقية و توزيع أسراب المقاتلات الاعتراضية عليها. ثم يتناول الحشد الأميركي اثناء صيف ١٩٩٠ الى يناير ١٩٩١. يتناول الفصل التالي تاريخ الميغ ٢٣ في العراق منذ وصولها عام ١٩٧٤ و مواصفاتها الفنية، و كيف ان طرازMS كان مخيبا لأمال الطيارين العراقيين. و كان الطراز ML الطراز النهائي الذي خدم في العراق في الأسراب ٦٣ و ٧٣ و ٩٣. ثم يتحدث عن الميغ ٢٥ التي وصلت العراق منتصف ١٩٨٠و مواصفاتها الفنية . ثم يناقش الكاتبين المواصفات الفنية للأف ١٥ و يوضحان سبب تفوقها على الميغ ٢٣/٢٥.
الفصل التالي يبدأ بوصف دقيق لبرنامج التدريب لدياري القوة الجوية العراقية الذي يستمر ٣،سنوات و يتضمن ٤٠٠ ساعة طيران، يتبعها ١٠٠ ساعة من التدريب على الطائرة التي سوف يحلق بها الطيار. ثم يتم المقارنة ببرنامج التدريب للقوة الجوية الأميركية.
يتابع بعد ذلك الكتاب بوصف التكتيك الذي يستخدمه طيارو الميغ ٢٣ و ٢٥ العراقيون في القتال الجوي و علاقتهم بالموجه الأرضي و نظام الدفاع الجوي المتكامل KARI و تقسيمات النظام. و يشدد على ان أساليب الاعتراض الجوي العراقية كانت متأثرة الى حد كبير بالحرب الطويلة مع ايران و التعاون مع الفرنسيين. ثم يعرض التكتيك الذي يستخدمه طياري الأف ١٥ و يشرح بالتفصيل اُسلوب التشكيل الرباعي المعروف بwall of Eagles الذي يسمح بالاستفادة القصوى من الرادار المتفوق للأف ١٥.
الفصل السادس يتناول القتال الجوي في حرب الخليج الثانية، شارحا بالتفصيل الاشتباك الجوي بين الميغ ٢٥ التي كان طيارها الملازم زهير دَاوُدَ و الأف ١٨ غرب العراق، و الاشتباكات الاخرى للليلة الاولى للحرب. ثم يتناول الكاتبان الاشتباك الجوي بين الأف ١٥ و الميغ ٢٥ ليلة ٢٩ كانون ثاني ١٩٩١. و القتال الجوي بين الأف ١٥ و الميغ ٢٣ في يومي ٢٦ و ٢٧ كانون الثاني. ثم يتم وصف عملية "سامراء" التي قامت بها طائرات الميغ ٢٥ يوم ٣٠ كانون الثاني.
يتبع ذلك فصل قصير عن احصائيات الحرب من الجانبين و فصل آخر عن احداث ما بعد الحرب وصولا الى احتلال العراق عام ٢٠٠٣.
الكتاب ممتع جدا و يحتوي على معلومات مهمة عن الحرب الجوية عام ١٩٩١ و يمكن بكل وضوح ملاحظة ان التفوق النوعي و الكمي الهائل للتحالف قد جعل المستحيل على العراق الانتصار في هذه الحرب. و يشدد الكتاب على شجاعة و احترافية الطيارين العراقيين في تلك الحرب و استخدامهم لأسلحتهم و طائراتهم بكفائة رغم التفوق التقني الهائل لطائرات الأف ١٥.
Per Ardua, Ad Astra.

أضف رد جديد

العودة إلى “كتب، جرائد و مجلات”